Monday, November 3, 2008

Don't Be Scared!!!!!!!

Yes! I actually am going to mosey over here and lay down a few words! Since last we spoke.....

At my March 14 appointment with Meg, she stuck me in the booth to see how I measured up at the one year mark. We all know how much I love the booth!! However, it is nice to see how much things have changed. With the sentences, I got 35 out of 52 words correct, for a score of 67%. There were 3 sentences that I got completely right. For the word list (which is much harder), I got 11 out of 25 right, which is 44%. I got 47 out of 75 phonemes (partial words), which is 63%. Coming right along! This is a big improvement from the way things were before!

We keep making changes and some of them I just don't like. Sometimes it seems like things are not as good as they were at a previous time. So we keep trying this and trying that! About a month ago, Meg was trying different tones that corresponded with certain electrodes. There were some high pitches, which are the last electrodes, that I actually felt before I heard them! It set off a pain in my head! She thinks it's possible that I may have never heard in those ranges and therefore the nerve and my brain are having a hard time processing them. So, she set me up with a program that cut off the last 2 electrodes and another program that cut off the last 3. I had to see how that worked. Plus, she left the current program that I had been using.

I couldn't really say which of the 2 programs I liked better (with the electrodes cut off), but after using those for a while, I switched back to my original program (with all electrodes firing) and really noticed a difference! The original was worser!!! Yes, worser!! It really did kind of shock me.

So, back to Meg I went last Friday. We are now trying the program with the last 2 'trodes cut off. AND she stuck be back in that da-gone booth!! This time I got 49 out of 57 words which is 86%!!! WooHoo!! I got 7 of the sentences completely right! So, things are still improving! However, for the single word test, things have not changed much. For the words, I had 44% and 69% for the phonemes. She said we need to work on increasing some of the low tones without them taking over the other frequencies. I guess we'll be working on that later.

She has given me homework. Oh, I love homework. Rick has to read to me while I follow along. We need to do this most days of the week for at least 15 minutes. Then, after about 3 weeks, I am to listen only.....no following the words. This helps me work on my hearing skills. The more practicing I do, the better things should get.

So, that's where we are right now. I don't go back to Meg for 3 months, unless I feel the need to. If I don't like this program or feel that something needs to be changed, then I give her a buzz and she'll work on me some more! Poor Meg. I do feel sorry for the poor girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you scared me "plum" to death !!! I was shocked to see that you finally, had an update!! I've looked and looked "no did see", FINALLY, you came through !! Now, on the serious side, I'm so thankful that things are going better with your hearing, keep up the good work and DO YOUR HOMEWORK with a smile !!!
Love, Helen

Cynthia said...

I have to go lay down now.