Saturday, January 9, 2010

Running in the Snow

Where were you at 7am on this Saturday morning? I was with our running group out in the frigid cold gearing up for what I thought would be a 9 mile run. Two things to be thankful for.....it originally was suppose to be about 5 degrees this morning and it ended up being 15, so that was nice! I was very thankful for that extra 10 degrees! Then found out that Ernie, our running group leader --- that would be The Ern Dawg, or The Great Running High Priest as he is affectionately called --- had decided that we would only do 6 instead of the 9. The massive thankfulness for that one came a little later on. At first I was thinking why shorten our run? Last Saturday the temperature was about the same and the road where we were starting out was clear....so why?? Well, about 10 minutes into the run I understood why. All those side roads that we were running on had not been cleared of the snow. Nooooo boy. Within a few seconds of running in the snow I felt the total difference a little snow can make! It wore me out quickly!! I was thinking there's no way I could even do 6!!! Well, we trudged on, had to take a couple of walk breaks, but made it through the 6. Man, I was glad when that was over!!

If the roads had been cleared it would have been a very nice run. It was beautiful out there, very peaceful and calm. The squirrels were out playing and having a big 'ol time!! However, I spent most of the time carefully planning where I was going to plant my foot! Had to be careful not to slip and break my tooshie! I was constantly scanning the road to try to find a spot with the least snow. I'm telling you....running in the snow is hard, HARD work!! It's like running in very soft sand. Now, if I'm going to run in something soft like that, I would much prefer that it be sand and not snow!!

Afterwards we all did go to Doodles and get some breakfast! That's the best part of the Saturday morning runs!!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Don't forget the baby kitty! Love that baby coming out to cheer on the early morning runners (and to get some well-deserved tummy rubs!)