Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Activation Day!!

Today was the day!! I had high hopes but no real expectations. I've been told over and over to not get my expectations up and then be disappointed. I knew that most likely things would not start out great. Of course, I HOPED they would, but didn't expect them to. Meg put the processor on my ear and the magnet on my head, then plugged me into the computer. Here I am getting ready to start the process.






Then Meg punched some buttons on the computer, started talking to me and I was to tell her when I either heard something or sensed something. I finally started hearing some noise which was very similar to all the ringing that I have. I had to wait for it to get fairly loud to be heard above the ringing. (I hope that once I start "hearing", that the ringing will quiet down. However, that's a wait and see kind of thing.) She would mess more with the volume and then ask me how loud it was. In this picture she's pointing to the chart and I'm trying to tell her what I'm experiencing.



We did this several times so that the volume is about a 7, which is fairly loud without being too loud. We want it loud so that the brain can start getting used to hearing. Also, most likely, the volume will start to decrease for me fairly quickly as the brain gets used to it. If things start getting softer this evening or tomorrow before I go back to see Meg, then I am to turn up the volume. Once I max out this program, there are 2 more programs on my processor which will increase the volume. As things get softer, I keep upping the volume.

As of right now, I'm not truly hearing any real sounds. Everything sounds the same. All I'm getting right now are beeps. All noises are just beeps. Just what I need......more beeping in my head to join all those voices that talk to me!!! We've decided that it could be aliens trying to communicate!! I've got to figure out what the beeps mean!! They could be telling me where the secret stash of money is!!! I'VE GOT TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!

Yes, I had high hopes that I would be one of those people who came home and really heard some things. I didn't truly expect it, but hoped for it just the same. I'm not disappointed because I know things will get better. Things will change quickly. It's a process that will take time, time and patience, patience, patience!!!

For the first 3 months, we will work mostly on volume. Then after that, move into more programming.

I do have to say that I am hearing beeps that go along with sounds that I don't normally hear. Rick rang our doorbell, which I have never heard, and I could hear a soft beep. We tried the cell phones, and I heard them ring........well...beep. As I said, all sounds right now are the same beep. As I type, the keyboard beeps. When we were coming home, Rick was messing with me and would be looking the other way and make soft sounds......well, I heard the beeps. I'm hearing a lot of beeping that goes with things I wouldn't usually hear........but a person can only listen to so many beeps!!!

I'm excited to see all the new upcoming changes!! Hopefully before too long, I'll start to really hear and be able to make out what the sound is. I guess I'm going to have to get to work on re-training this old brain!!

I just now heard Scarlet (one of my cats) beep for the first time!!!! I've never heard any of them meow. Well, she beeped for me!!!! Love that baby girl!! I'll throw some cat pictures on here before too long so you can see my babies..........I have 4 of them.

So, that's where I am right now. Just sitting here listening to lots of beeps!! I'll let you know tomorrow what's new.

Beep on!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear, I'll be happy for you when the "beeps" will actually be sounds ! I pray that each day it will improve--- I'm sure it will.
Thanks for the update of today.
Love,
Helen