Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Staple Free!!

Today was staple day!! I was very surprised.......it was not bad at all! There were 25 in all. The 3 at the top have been very sore. Any time that I touched them, they were pretty painful, so I really expected them to be bad. They did hurt. Not like OH MY GOSH I'M GOING TO DIE!!!, but more like OOUUWWIIEEEE!!! The rest of them were nothing. No pain. Barely felt them. I was a happy girl!!! The doctor said everything looked great. I guess I won't be seeing him anymore, but will now just be seeing my audiologist, Meg.

Meg saw us as we were going in at the office and while we were waiting for Dr. Jones, she came back and talked to us. We had misunderstood something that Dr. Jones told us in the hospital and thought that one of the electrodes was not able to be inserted into the cochlea. However, Meg said that the first time Dr. Jones inserted them, they did not get good readings. (While I was in surgery, after Dr. Jones did the implant, Meg then came in and hooked me up. They make sure the implant is working ok and that everything looks good.) Since they were not happy with the readings, Dr. Jones re-inserted the electrodes and the second time they were much happier with the readings. She said there was one electrode that had a higher reading than it should have, but lots of times, after things have time to settle down, then they will get the reading they want. She talked to us quite a while about what to expect and things to come! Of course, Rick had to ask her lots of technical questions. Poor Meg......I felt sorry for her!!

Things are going great!! I have felt really good and haven't had any more episodes. I think all of that is behind me now. Thank the Good Lord!! I've not had any problems driving and no problems with going to work. The only trouble there is the piles and piles of stuff staring me in the face needing to be done NOW!!!

So now we just wait.......and wait.......and wait. Hook up day is 2 weeks from today!!! I am very anxious for that!! At times, all of this just seems surreal. I guess it's the not-knowing exactly how things are going to be and also all the waiting. Sometimes I'm just sitting there minding my own business and all of a sudden I get that WHAT IN THE WORLD HAVE I DONE feeling. For a brief second I'll feel like I have made a horrible mistake. But that passes and I know that I have done the right thing. Also, I guess part of it is that right now since the implanted ear is useless, things are much harder for me to hear and understand. Today has been especially bad. I don't have a clue why, but my left ear has been very stopped up so I'm not hearing much of squat out of that ear! It's been a hard day.

Then to beat it all......I scooped 5 bags of dog poop this evening and there's still tons more!!! Oh my gosh!!!! How can they poop that much!!???

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Dog poop should make everything better.......you must not be doing it right......

Anonymous said...

So thankful, this step is over for you !! I feel that everything will be great, once, your "connection" is connected !! You will be one HAPPY girl !!
See if there is such a thing as a "poop catcher", then all you'll have to do is to empty it ! Ha

Anonymous said...

The above is from , Helen--I failed to sign my name!!! My password just "flew" out of my head !!!!! HA